Monday, October 09, 2006

Mamma's Boy

I took the kids to see their grandparents this weekend. We had a lovely visit. Sunday morning my son seemed to have woken up too early and was in a bit of a foul mood. My father-in-law asked me, "why does he cry so much?"

It's a good and valid question, but not one to ask of the child's mother.

Feeling defeated, I simply replied, "I don't know," and put an end to the inquiry.

I've since thought more about it and I have the answer.

My name is Kelley and my son is a mamma's Boy.

The fault is not all my own, yet I'll take the credit anyhow. My son is our second-born and youngest child. I believe having a daughter first and son second perpetuates the whole Daddy's Girl and mamma's Boy scenario. My son is also much more quite and shy than his older sister. Plus, living 1600 miles away from our family during his first year and half of life doesn't necessarily help his comfort level. It takes him some time to get acclimated to new surroundings- even if those surroundings include family. That was the reason for the visit in the first place.
I try to use every weekend to take my kids to spend time with family. I want them to have close relationships now that we live near by to everyone. I just hope that everyone has patience and accepts that to my son they may seem like strangers at first. I want to close that gap, but I know it will take a few more weekend visits.

No comments: