Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Clean Up On Aisle 6 and 7 and 8 and...


OH, NO...


But, OH, YES!


I took the kiddos grocery shopping at the brand new SIGNATURE KROGER by our home. I was in such awe of the incredible fresh produce and selection of healthy, organic and International foods-I wanted to hug and kiss every single Kroger employee who greeted us! And being that the store just opened-there were friendly greeters aplenty.

Every aisle must of had three food sampling stations-I mean the kids and I basically ate dinner there. Oh, and the aisles were sooooo wide I didn't have to constantly push my way around someone who actually has time to read the ingredients on labels.
Well, I guess my son didn't get his fill on all the scrumptious samples and decided to open up some of the Danimals Drinkable Yogurts I placed in the cart. I was too busy checking out the store and checking off my grocery list to notice. My son managed to open two of the banana-flavored yogurt drinks. Too bad he has a slight drinking problem-the sticky goop dripped down his chin, down his shirt, onto the groceries piled in the cart and finally down onto the floor. I, the mom-of-year, didn't realize until I slipped in some of the yellow, liquidy mess. AAAHHHH! How did you? Oh, how could I be so drawn in to two for one sharp cheddar cheese...

We were pretty much done shopping at that point and I had everything on my list but straws-which ironically could have avoided the spillage.

We proceeded to the check out and my heart pounded as the swarm of employees begged for me to come to their check-out stand. "You really don't want to check me out," I said. They smiled and laughed-not knowing what sticky grossness awaited them. "No, really. Take a look." I gestured down to my son-the fish printed on his shirt barely visible through the banana yogurt that covered them. The checkers' and bag boys' eyes widened and they all laughed. Then, they grabbed paper towels and began to help me wipe down my son and our groceries. A manager came by thinking the package exploded and made one of the checkers go get me a new one. I tried to explain that their beautiful store held my attention so much that I didn't pay enough attention to my son! I'll have to make sure they have a cart with the play car attached to it next time. At least that will keep my son out of the groceries-if I'm too busy eyeing the 8 ears of corn for $1.00. Well, the bag boy got a good tip out of it anyway...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surprise! Surprise! It's me!
I want to thank you for this entry. I had a good laugh and your son looks so cute. Keep up the good work, Kelley. I really enjoy reading your blog.
Watch out for an email from me soon!

willam said...

oh no! screw those other mother of the years. you got a pre-baby body. snaps for you.
i tried to tip a bag boy for bagging a $200 grocery order and helping me out and he said no. is that like a store policy? i was shocked.

Kelley said...

Wow-thanks for that!

As for the bag boy not taking a tip-never heard of such a thing?

Mary said...

Tipping the bagger? Never heard of that one. Maybe because we always bag our own? Still never even saw anyone tip the bagger. Hmmmm...

TL said...

In Fayetteville, NC at most supermarkets, the baggers don't get paid. They work for tips only. They bag your food, load the cart, wheel the cart to your car, and then load the car too!

The young man who helped my Aunt was courteous, respectful, cracked some funny jokes and was of course very helpful. Folks in the South have such nice manners ;p

As a rule, my Aunt tips a quarter a bag as she usually shops for the whole month at once (and she's semi-retired).