Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Easy, kid-friendly Treats

Just in time for the holidays-my daughter is 3-years-old and loves helping make these yummy treats.
ARMADILLO BITES (some people call this stuff "Puppy Chow?")
2 cups chocolate chips (I just use the whole bag 12-14 oz)
1 reg. box Crispix® or Rice Chex® (I use the store brand stuff-much cheaper)
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup margarine/butter
3 cups (aprox) powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 paper grocery sack
1 large 2" to 3" deep pan (I use a large aluminum roasting pan from the dollar store)

Heat chocolate chips, peanut butter and margarine on HIGH in a glass bowl in microwave until melted — mix well. In pan, combine cereal and chocolate mix-add vanilla. Stir until completely coated. Pour powdered sugar in paper sack, add cereal mix, and shake to coat. (The powdered sugar and shaking will separate the cereal bites) These are great to fill little goodie bags!


My daughter also enjoys making Christmas cookies. If you don't have the time to make
your own cookie dough, an easy way to share this holiday tradition is to buy pre-made cookie dough. I roll out the dough. My daughter and I cut the shapes out together and I let her decorate with holiday-colored sprinkles.

In addition, Pillsbury makes cookie dough with holiday shapes/decor already on them-you just slice and bake. And many grocery stores now offer holiday-shaped, already baked cookies. You just have to decorate/frost them!

No comments: