Sunday, December 11, 2005

"I think Aedan swallowed nail polish"

Saturday night I went to a friend's housewarming party. While stuffing my face and enjoying adult conversation, I thought I'd heard my phone ring. I checked to see if I had any calls and sure enough I missed a call from my husband. I returned his call. He answered quite frantic and yelled, "I think Aedan has swallowed nail polish." Then, he hung up!
I wasn't sure how to react? I thought to myself, "Did I just hear what I think I heard? Nah...but...maybe... I'll try calling again." I phoned several more times with no answer. I calmly decided my husband must be on the phone to poison control and he'll call me back when he has a chance. A few of the party guests noticed the confused look on my face. I told them about my abrupt phone conversation and I asked them, "Can you really drink nail polish?" It just seems so thick and would dry too quickly??? One of the party-goers said my hubby was just trying to get out of having to watch the kids. Ha, I laughed, but not inside. I called home again. This time my husband answered. My daughter had apparently painted her little brother and from the looks of him, there was no telling how much (if any) he had ingested. When I write that my daughter "painted," it's more like she dumped two bottles of nail polish over her brother's head. I didn't get to see what Aedan looked like post the 3-year-old beauty-salon treatment. My husband said you could only see our son's eyes. Thank goodness the polish didn't get in them. My husband scrubbed Aedan's face for 45 minutes. The dark pink polish is still in his hair. It looks like Aedan has a severe head wound. I researched on the net to find ways to remove the polish from his head and hair:
"You could try using baby oil and see if the dried polish will slide out - like you would to remove gum. Using ice might work, too.
Or a non-acetone nail polish remover if all else fails.
Once the nail polish has dried it actually shouldn't be too difficult to remove - in fact, unless it is a big knotted up mess, you *might* be able to slide it from the hair without using oil or chemicals."
The baby oil did absolutely nothing. The non-acetone polish remover did remove some of the polish from Aedan scalp. I just needed so much to work into the matted hair the smell was wiping me out. I couldn't imagine the fumes weren't getting to my son too. I think we'll be taking a trip to the barber shop tonight.
Some polish managed to get on the floor & Aedan's shirt

best pic of Aedan's head (shows very little though)

1 comment:

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I laughed so hard at this post, Q came running in from the other room because he wanted to see what was so funny!
That Dawson is a little pistol! Just wait until Aedan gets his revenge!