Monday, August 01, 2005

Potty Training isn't just for kids


These are just a few tips that worked for my daughter and me. Before my daughter was ready, I put a training potty in the bathroom. It made her curious and sometimes she would mimic me. Once she seemed committed to learning (about 18 months), I used the positive reinforcement approach. I always rewarded my daughter with words of praise, clapping, and stickers or little prizes. I became the head cheerleader.
Training was facilitated by my daughter attending day care and succumbing to "peer pressure." With in a few months she had it, but was not accident-free. Outside circumstances (daddy travelling, me getting pregnant, etc.) caused her to regress on several occasions. I returned to my role as head cheerleader and we'd start again.
Patience is necessary during potty training, but my daughter's bladder didn't always know the meaning of the word. "Can you hold it?" It's a hard concept to teach while in the midst of potty training and I can understand any child's confusion. It's a good idea to have a training potty in the car. Of course, before you go anywhere or leave anywhere, have your child go to the bathroom. I've yet to teach my son, but I heard to assist boys with their aim to put a few cheerios in the toilet. Bull's Eye!!
While potty training, try to avoid restaurants that only have one bathroom. Once, my family and I were having breakfast at a local diner, my daughter exclaimed loud & proud, "Mommy, I have to peepee." "Okay, let's hurry," as I scooped her up and carried her towards the restroom-the single restroom. "Oh, no, did I pack extra pants for her today," I thought to myself. Several minutes passed and still the door knob read "Do Not Disturb." I knocked on the door just to let the person within know that someone else was out here patiently waiting her turn (and holding herself and dancing). Several more minutes passed. Was this person ill? I knocked again. And waited. Two more women were now in line behind us. I knocked again. Then, my daughter could no longer hold it and wet her pants. When the bathroom-hog wearing fresh, orange lipstick finally opened the door, she hissed, "Can't you read?" and pointed at the "do not disturb" on the door lock. I asked with concern, "Were you ill? Did the coffee get to you?" She shook her head. "Well, then there's no other excuse, my daughter's wet her pants waiting for you to put on your fucking ugly lipstick." All the women waiting in the line that now wrapped around the block chuckled as the restroom-hog ducked back to her table with her tail between her legs.
FYI-Charmin bathroom tissue has a FREE training kit that includes stickers.

  • Charmin Potty Training Kit
  • No comments: