Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Art of Distraction


Parent's must hone their skills of distraction much like a magician. Kids get bored real fast and, yes, kids throw tantrums. Be prepared... have a game, or sing a silly song, point at something interesting or unusual, carry a toy or candy or crayons & paper in your bag or purse. If you're going on a flight or a road trip, take along a new toy. It could be a dollar-store find or a little happy meal toy-it's new and will occupy your child. And, of course, the great distractor-a portable DVD player.
During grocery shopping, I have my daughter be my little helper-many grocery stores now offer tiny grocery carts for kids. Carts shaped like cars are available at some malls and Wal-Marts. My daughter does pretty good on car trips and flights, but hates it if I have to fill up at the gas station. She'll scream, kick the seat and try and wiggle out of her carseat. I can't let her out of the car while I'm fillin' up, so I play peek-a-boo with her through the side and back windows. She's entertained and the tank is full. However, strangers often glare at me with eyebrows raised, questioning my sanity...apparently they don't always see that someone is in the car because of the glare on the windows. I just freak them out more by jumping around the other side of the pump..."There she is."

No comments: