Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Checked out at the check out...

As I was waiting in line at a local grocery store checkout, my 3-year-old daughter full-on grabbed my breasts, prompting several guys behind us to chuckle aloud. I understand she was venting her frustration and jealously-I only wish it hadn't been so public. My daughter is quite jealous of my son when he's breastfeeding and often refers to my breasts as "Aedan's boobies." I knew having a sibling was going to be a tough transition for my daughter and expected some regression. But, I was thinking regressing back to diapers or a pacifier. I never took into account breastfeeding. Then, at one point, my daughter actually wanted to nurse again. I had to explain to her that she is a big girl and doesn't need mommy's milk anymore-the milk is for Aedan now. Trying to appease her, I added that Aedan can't have chocolate milk like she can-he's just a baby. Also, I try to give her equal snuggle time after I feed my son so she doesn't feel left out.

No comments: